Dominate Online: Follow This Checklist for Total Search Engine Optimization
17th September 2014
Dominate Online With This SEO Checklist
Do you want to improve organic traffic, drive leads and improve your position in search engine results?
We suggest you start with on-page optimization.
This is everything done to each of your site pages so search engines understand what they’re all about. A proper search engine optimization strategy will help you boost your website to the coveted first-ranking position on Google for organic or unpaid keywords.
This Search Engine Optimization (SEO) checklist can help, but before you get started with our checklist, keep these tips in mind:
- You should have one, or two keywords for each of your website pages. Trying to rank for multiple keywords on a single website page can be difficult, as search engines have a hard time knowing what keyword to rank you for. If you have multiple keywords on one page, consider breaking up the content and keywords across several different pages.
- Arm yourself with knowledge of where your keywords currently rank. Ask us about an SEO assessment to see where you stand now. If you are already on page one of Google search for your keyword, leave the page alone.
- Use Google Adwords: Keyword Planner to determine which keywords your audience may be searching for. You might be surprised at some of the keyword variations that will show a high search volume.
Create optimized web pages with our SEO Checklist
The checklist below will help guide you in creating optimized webpages. Keep this in mind: Google uses over 200 components in their algorithm to rank your website pages. No single component on the checklist will help you rank better, rather, they work in combination to raise your overall search engine ranking.
- Create a new Google Account and Email address for your website
- Install Google Analytics
- Install Google Webmaster Tools
- Install Google Analytics for WordPress and SEO for WordPress or on whatever CMS you’re using
- Use our free SEO assessment tool, and learn if you are ranking already for keywords
- Check Google Webmaster Tools for 404 errors, 301 redirects, duplicate content, missing titles and other technical errors that Google has found
- Choose 1 keyword per page. Google Adwords Keyword Planner or gShift Web Presence Optimizer Suite are two tools available in helping to choose keywords.
- Add all title tags
- Add all meta description tags
- Add keyword to H1 titles. If possible add in H2, H3, H4 titles, too
- Add descriptive ALT tags using keyword for any images on your page
- Add internal page links and use the page keyword you are linking to in the anchor text
- Make sure your content and keywords are relevant so both users and search engines understand what your website is offering
- Double check spelling and grammar
SEO is a fundamental part of your digital marketing strategy and skipping the basics will prevent you from fully maximizing revenue opportunities. If you need help figuring it out, reach out to us and we’ll help you get you started.